h3.post-title {font-family: 'Lobster', serif;}h1 { font-family: 'Lobster', arial, serif; }

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Life Without Soda

February, that was the last time soda touched my lips. And let me tell you, after 5 months I feel great!

I know I should have given up "the drink" a long time ago. I thought about it in high school, I thought about it in college, I even thought about it the first 5 years of my marriage. There was one thing that was stopping me... I was addicted to the carbonation. Those little bubbles gave me so much joy, I just couldn't give them up. Until...

Until all of those wonderful little bubbles turned on me. Yes you read that right. They turned on me. Soda began to make me seriously ill every time I tried to drink it. I knew that having to give it up was ahead of me, I held on as long as I could, but it just wasn't worth the pain anymore. So I gave it up.

Giving up my beloved soda was really one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It took a lot of will power. Every single day during that first month of giving it up, I found myself fearful of falling off the wagon. Every time I started craving a soda, I would have to remind myself why I gave it up in the first place. At the end of that first month I noticed something pretty miraculous. My food tasted different. Better. My taste buds were no longer being burned, so I could actually TASTE my food, the way it was meant to be tasted.

A couple weeks later I realized that I could breathe easier.

The biggest change of all was of course, the lack of severe stomach problems. I no longer had to curl up on the couch in pain after drinking a soda. I'm also happy to report I've lost 10 pounds since I cut the soda out.

Water is my new best friend. Don't get my wrong, I miss my soda dearly, but I'm better off without it. The health benefits far outweigh my longing for carbonation.

So alas my dear soda, I must bid you a fond farewell. For good.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I have never been able to drink soda because of the carbonation. It literally burns my throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you saying that before. I liked the burn, haha! I never thought about how it could be burning my taste buds. That was kind of a DUH on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is great. This is something I would like to do again. I stopped drinking soda for a year and loved it. I dont remember what got me drinking it again, but I drink it only once or twice a week. I think I will stop again though. Its good to hear your doing better without it! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete