h3.post-title {font-family: 'Lobster', serif;}h1 { font-family: 'Lobster', arial, serif; }

Saturday, June 25, 2011

I just don't "get" it

There are some things that I just don't "get". Why people like certain things. Why people make such a big deal out of things. I have compiled a list of things I just don't "get"

~Lady Gaga: I've heard her music, I've seen her perform. I don't understand the fascination with this woman. She can't sing, & she dresses... well let's just say it. She dresses like an idiot. She dresses like she wants everyone to know that she doesn't care what anyone thinks. Oh she does though, she tries too hard to be weird, she wants people to notice her, to talk about her. Good or bad, she wants the attention. You can't fool me Gaga.

~Piercing babies ears: I don't care who you are, it just doesn't make any sense to pierce a little baby girls ears. It just doesn't. You can defend it all you want. I don't like it. And I don't have to. In fact (and I know this is bad) I tend to judge people negatively if I see they have pierced their daughters ears while still a baby. There really is no reason for it, other than to let everyone know your baby is in fact, a girl. But, isn't that what headbands, flowers and bows are for? Do you really need to put unnecessary holes in your child's body to prove that?

*I understand there are some cultures that pierce babies ears, I am not talking about them. I'm talking about people that I KNOW are not part of these cultures.

~Bidets: Really? I had a conversation about this with one of my friends who has used one. We were laughing the whole time. Because she was trying to convince me they were the greatest, and I was trying to tell her they weren't. Because you still have to wipe yourself after you've been sprayed. Waste of time. Waste of water. OR you have to use soap with the water and scrub yourself clean... WHY?... if I wanted to do that, I would take a shower. Otherwise I'm using the toilet paper.

~Cloth diapers: No one will ever be able to convince me they are better. I've heard all the arguments. Better for the environment? Probably, but I have better things to do than wash diapers all day.

The kicker is when they try to say it's cheaper. Honey let me tell you, I've done my research. It is in no way cheaper. Cloth diaper companies nowadays seem to think their products are made of gold. The prices on those things are astronomical. Compared to a few boxes of x number of diapers it may seem cheaper. But the women who use them fail to tell you how many times a day they do laundry. So now you're talking the large amount of money for the diapers (and you have to get a lot so your supply isn't gone in a couple hours) then the money that you waste washing all those darn diapers multiple times a day. Some people use detergent and fabric softener, so there are a couple other hidden fees that they so gladly fudge over.

Maybe my kids aren't in diapers as long as other children, or maybe they don't go through as many as other children, but I literally sat down and did the math after I had researched all those cloth diaper sites. It was $200 more to cloth diaper than to use disposable. So there you go. NOT cheaper.

*If you for some reason still feel the need to cloth diaper, go right ahead. Just don't try to convince me it's cheaper. It really does bug the heck out of me.

~All Natural Birth: I confess I do think the women that try it are a little crazy. I have friends that do it. I still love them to pieces. Doesn't mean I think it's any less weird. I'm all about the epidural/spinal.

There are some people who have given birth naturally that I am not particularly fond of. I have run into some crazy women who have said things like, "You're not a real mother, because you didn't give birth vaginally." or "You didn't really give birth." or "You just didn't try hard enough." or "You just didn't want a vaginal birth enough to try harder."

You know what I have to say to those women? SHOVE IT! (that is putting it as kindly, and mildly as I can) All of those comments were made to me by women who have given birth naturally. Who, for some reason, think they are better than I am.

*Like I said, I have dear friends who have had natural births. I'm not saying natural birthers are all like this. I KNOW they aren't all like that.

~Beauty pageants, baby contests, etc: Why would you subject yourself and your child to someone saying they may or may not be cute enough? Not just the judges, but the bystanders. Because you know there are people out there who have nothing better to do with their time than to tear others down. I caught an episode of Toddlers and Tiaras. The things I heard the competing parents saying about one anothers children appalled me. These sort of things lead to low self esteem on the child's part, and over-bearing parents on the adults part.

I don't need someone to tell me my kids are the most beautiful kids in the world. I already know that.

11 comments:

  1. The other thing about cloth diapering is you can't use normal detergent. You have to use special detergents that cost more to clean the diapers without ruining them. So that bugs me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you via Jenna's blog.... I like the way you think! Totally agree! I am so tired of hearing about cloth diapers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you out via jenna's blog i think you are hilarious and so correct on the nazi cloth diaperers> i do have to say that its only in the US that cloth diapering has become a multimillion dollar extraveganza. Its ridiculous.

    I am from Europe and i cloth diaper like they do in europe, meaning i wash my diapers every 3 days in hot water and tide. and i only spent $100 to cloth diaper my twins.
    I think people go waaayyy to nazi about it here. its ridiculous and pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahaha! Oh you crack me up. Totally laughed my head off while reading this....I think the people in the office next to me may think i've gone insane....oh well. I dont have kids(obviously, you know that)but I dont like the whole cloth diaper thing either, and the "you're not a real mother" effing ridiculous. If people say that to you when i'm around, they better be ready to be ripped a new one. Look it up in the dictionary freaks, nowhere does it say you have to give birth naturally for it be a "real" birth. And women who are so set on natural birth that they refuse a c-section even when their child is in danger bug me. Wouldn't you rather have a healthy child, even if their birth didn't happen the way you want? I would. Anywho....love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carr!

    Southy, I totally agree. And thanks!

    Suzy, you better believe I put those a-holes in their place :D Love you back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha you make me laugh!
    Bidets are very nice while on your period or for men who have a lot of hair on their bums. ha ha. Just to feel cleaner is all. ;)

    I dont like Lady Gaga, but I do enjoy singing with some of her music.

    I dont care for cloth diapers. I would rather throw away the stink then have to clean out and re use. Ick.

    I HAVE to do natural birth because epidurals dont work on me. But I would totally rather go through no pain than all pain. It didnt make me any better of a mother than women who had no pain or c sects. We are all mothers no matter how our babies came to this earth. Why would pain make you a better mother? Makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah having to do natural is different than choosing it. The thing about the pain is, there is pain no matter what. Before, during & after. It's the same thing.

    I'm so excited you're following me now Mallissa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL ok I'll bite!

    On the ear piercing thing: I come from a culture where it's done practically at birth (ok, not really but around a month or two) and it's never seemed odd to me! If ever I have a daughter I will get her ears pierced as a baby and when people gasp and ask me how dare I mutilate my baby for appearance's sake, I will ask them why they keep up their tradition of circumcision so that their baby boys can look like their daddy. =)

    On the bidet: I lived in Uruguay for a few years and LOVED them! Some day when we build a house we are going to have one put in. It makes clean up during AF much easier and they are absolutely awesome for sitz baths... which I unfortunately have had to do quite often, argh! Sure you can accomplish the same thing in a bath tub, but bidets make it possible without stripping and waiting for a tub to fill up. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're gonna hate me, but cloth diapering is cheaper. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to bite on this one too...
    I do agree on almost everything you said...but for ME cloth diapering IS cheaper. But this is because I am on my third kid with the same cloth diapers. And I only wash once every 2 or 3 days. And I don't use any special detergents or fabric softener. In fact, if you use any fabric softener at all on cloth diapers it ruins them. And one of the main reasons I use cloth is to be self sufficient in case of an emergency. And also because of the chemicals in disposable diapers that irritate my baby's skin. But I think for one baby and buying those expensive cloth diapers and detergents, it probably would not be cheaper!
    Peace out!

    ReplyDelete